Monday, May 17, 2010

Q & A with Selena Robins!

1. Tell us about your newest release.


What a Girl Wants is a contemporary romance for readers who enjoy a spicy, romantic comedy with a ‘friends-to-lovers’ theme filled with witty repartee, unexpected twists, a splash of mystery and red-hot-sex scenes. The heroine (Maddie) is known as “the woman with the black belt in mischief.” Alex (the hero) has accepted Maddie’s pranks over the years and enjoys their friendship, even though he compares her to Lucille Ball on Red Bull at times. Deep down, I think he really likes it…well, most times. Ultimately, What a Girl Wants is about friendship, love, commitment, family and forgiveness.


2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

I enjoyed writing all the scenes, especially the ones that involve the heroine’s mischief making and the hero’s reaction each time. The sexual innuendos, their banter and writing sexual tension are always fun to write. The one scene which is I especially love made me cry while I was writing it and it still brings me to tears when I re-read it. However, I can’t tell you about it because it contains a major spoiler.

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?


Like most writers, the joy I get from reading is a direct correlation to my passion for storytelling. In the eighth grade I won a short story contest hosted by the Humane Society, and my teacher at the time told me to take my writing seriously. I never forgot his advice and the feeling of creative accomplishment, so whatever job I took, there was always writing involved. I still have wonderful memories of finishing that short story and how much fun it was to read it aloud to my family (ad nausea I’m sure). I’m the youngest in a large Italian family and that was one way of getting their attention. One has to fight for air time in our gatherings.


4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your stories?

Anywhere and everywhere. I know that’s an ambiguous answer, however, I think most writers (myself included) really have no idea why certain characters (or storylines) nag at us to write about them. It’s the small things we experience in our lives that happen and then we exacerbate them into a story. It could be something as simple as observing a couple at a coffee shop, or a headline that captures our attention.


5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

When I’m writing or editing my work, I don’t read the same genre I’m writing. When I start a new book, I write all the dialogue first for each character, then fill in the action. I also have to re-read the chapter(s) I’ve written the day before three times, before I move on to the next scene. I know that this editing and polishing I do as I go along is a slow process, but I can’t move forward until I’m satisfied that what I’ve written the day before is good to go.


6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

That typing the words….“the end” really means…“the beginning.” The beginning of not only starting another project, but learning a whole new side of publishing (marketing, promotion, writing tag lines, blurbs, short bios, long bios).


7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

The different authors who wrote the Nancy Drew series, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Harper Lee, Mario Puzo and Joy Fielding to name a few. I loved their quirky, strong, outspoken heroines and dreamt that someday I too would like to give back to readers the hours of escapism these writers gave me (well, that is my goal and hope I’m accomplishing that for a few readers). Also, my husband has been a huge source of support and influence. He pointed to the open door when I expressed my desire to write a novel (I’ve always written short stories); actually, he shoved me through that door and said, “Just do it.”

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

My family is proud. My parents are both gone now, but my dad was still alive when I was writing my suspense novel (it involves an Italian mob connected family). He told me, “Make your culture proud. I’ll be watching from up there—or down there, whichever place I fly to.”


9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

When I get the time to recharge, I love to read, hang out with family and friends, since I also love to cook and entertain. My husband and I share a passion for traveling.


10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

I’m working on a romantic suspense story (the same one I am talking about in question number 8) and also plotting and working on the sequel to What a Girl Wants.


Warm regards,


Selena Robins

http://www.selenarobins.com/




Purchase your copy of What a Girl Wants by clicking here

5 comments:

N.J.Walters said...

Great interview!

Denise A. Agnew said...

Wonderful interview Selena! Your sense of humor is shining through, just as it always does. :)

Denise A. Agnew
www.deniseagnew.com

Selena Robins said...

Thank you for stopping by, Denise and NJ and for your support. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Selena,
are you currently attached to someone?

Selena Robins said...

Hi, Anonymous, thanks for stopping by. Actually, I'm not a siamese twin or anything, so no attached parts to another human being.

However, if you read answer number 7, you will see that I am married. :)

Enjoy your day!

Selena