Monday, April 26, 2010

Q&A with Cynthia Roberts!



1. Tell us about your newest release.

Wind Warrior
Book #1 of my Iroquois Series
Tate Publishing – Historical Indian Romance
ISBN 978-1-61663-162-8
official release date June 15 – available online now through Tate bookstore @ http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-61663-162-8


Leslie Michaels is a visionary, and only those close to her know of her special gift and the visions that come when her mind and body surrender to sleep. Fate has a way of righting many wrongs, and for Leslie it is a destiny that changes her life dramatically. But not before she is forced to flee into the wilderness to escape a murderous trapper bent on claiming her for his very own. Faith and a strong will to survive are her only companions, until she encounters Winnokin, the handsome Seneca war chief who first came to her in her dreams. Not only does he prove to be her rescuer and protector, he teaches her that tragedy can breed happiness and the passion to live and love deeply once again.

Wind Warrior plunges readers into the intimate depths of a relationship that unfolds like a live drama before their eyes while painting an insightful and intriguing portrait of Native Indian life in the 1800s. It is a story of longing, of a wanton need to survive all odds, and a love so strong it conquers human evil. Wind Warrior expresses with cunning words the simple, raw human emotions that hold readers spellbound and captivates their hearts.

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

When it comes to romance … hmmmm (big smile). Seriously though, when Leslie realizes the strength of her own conviction and determination to survive the dangerous perils she’s been faced with. I’m a true believer that when tragedy strikes and you’re standing on the edge of that precipice and all you see is darkness looking back at you, faith lies in knowing one of two things will happen. You can either let fear consume you, roll up into a ball and block out the world or, you can take a leap of faith and learn how to soar like an eagle. Leslie realizes that for herself.


3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Since the first time a Crayola was placed between my fingers and I started to scribble things that made sense to only me.

4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your stories?

Strangely enough, they just come to me. You’ll always find a small spiral pad tucked between the front seats of my car, in my purse or on my bed side table.

5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

Some may say I’m rare, maybe even a weird bird. When I attended creative writing classes at my local community college ages ago to learn the formula for writing fiction, I was taught to summarize my thoughts and create a play-by-play synopsis of how my chapters were to play out. NOT !!!! I don’t know what it is, but when I sit down to write, it’s like the words spurt out from my finger tips. Once that creative flow kicks into gear, I just type in rough draft form until my eyes are gritty and blood shot. Once a few chapters are finished, I’ll review, touch up but never truly polish it until the manuscript is finished.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

How good it actually read … truly! This was one accomplishment no one could take away from me or claim it as their very own because it was so much a part of me. There is nothing more fulfilling than bringing to life multiple characters within the context of an environment that seems so real and believable. To this very day, I am in awe of the whole writing process.


7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

It wasn’t like that for me. When I was young, I was into comic books. I was a passionate reader all of my adult life and used romance novels as a means to escape the rigor and upsets of life and a way to relax. I lived and breathed them and let them fill many long and lonely evenings when I was raising my children Jason and Alyssa (now 31 and 29) and much later on when my marriage came to an unexpected end.


Wind Warrior first came to life 12 years ago when I was meeting my greatest challenge to simply survive head on. I received so many rejections throughout that time frame I could have wallpapered a small room in my house. I nearly gave up on my dream. That is, until I realized it just wasn’t my time. I needed to live through and get beyond the pain in my own life before I could transform that experience into the kind of passion and emotion I wanted my readers to feel personally through my writing.


8. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Love to go on long walks to just think and clear my mind. I use to adore floral gardening until I became an apartment dweller but hope one day to have a small place of my own again. When I find the time, I love to go horseback riding and also try to exercise at least four times a week. Then too, I haven’t given up my passion for reading romance and enjoy the fine works of my fellow authors.

9. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

Book #2 of my Iroquois Series - Captive Heart is expected to be released the end of this year. Besides my series, two future projects near completion are Contemporary Romance Thrillers entitled Pawn For Malice and The Keeper’s Watch. I’m also hoping by the spring of next year to introduce my fans to another Romance Thriller about modern day shape shifters.


Learn more about Cynthia by visiting her website by clicking here.

Now, for a fun contest -- Go to Cynthia's Guestbook and sign it today through the end of April and she will pick one of you to win a prize.
What's the prize? An autographed copy of her book and a $25 Amazon giftcard!

Go here to enter:  Cynthia Robert's Guestbook

No comments: