Thursday, October 08, 2009

Guest Blogger: Kate Pearce talks about Heroes and Crackers

First off, thanks for having me back on the blog, ladies! I’m sure you’re sick of the sight of me, but I always love coming here because you have such great readers :) Today I’m going to talk about heroes, specifically my heroes and why I mentioned crackers.

I love all my heroes, if I didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to write about them. For me they all have something that appealed to me and qualities that made me think about them when I was writing other books or just daydreaming. But most of my heroes are also dark complex men with baggage and if I met them in real life, I suspect I’d be right out the door.

Let’s be honest, most Romance Heroes are not like Real Men. Real men don’t angst about that much, unless its sports or that the pub has closed and they certainly don’t go on about their feelings all the time. And let’s be even more frank. Most of them aren’t sex-gods either. (My husband wishes me to point out that he is a sex-god and that I’m in no way referencing him in any of this blog.).

I love Roark from J D Robb’s “In Death’ series, but again, I couldn’t live with him-all that cryptic conversation would wind me into knots. I love Jamie Frasier from the Outlander series but he is almost too good to be true, and I adore many of Linda Howard’s heroes but they tend to be the sexy dark angry ones for some reason.

My Regency Rakes in the ‘Simply…’ series’ Great at inventive kinky sex but basically unlivable with-(well with the exception of the one I’m writing now for the sixth book, Gabriel, who just might be okay...) Lord Anthony Sokorvsky from my current book “Simply Wicked’ would drive me nuts, he’s just too much man. All that sex, all the time? When would I get my romance reading done? And sorting out all their problems? I think not. I have a hard enough time dealing with my own stuff and my 4 kids.

Now, my contemporary cowboy heroes from the Turner brother series? Much more livable with-except Jay from “Roping the Wind” who is far too argumentative. Writing his book exhausted me, so living with him would be ten times worse. I think if I had to pick one hero, I’d probably be okay to share a bed full of cracker crumbs with, it would be Grayson from “Where have all the Cowboys Gone?” And coincidentally, he is the hero who is most like my husband. :)

My point is that I’d still rather share my bed and eat my crackers with a real man rather than a real Alpha Romance Hero. So tell me-who is your favorite romance hero (or heroes) and share whether you’d be happy to live with them in real life.

***
Thank you, Kate, and we are always glad to see you here. :)
You can learn more about Kate and her books by visiting her website at www.katepearce.com

Everyone, Kate is giving away a copy of Simply Wicked, her latest Kensington Aphrodisia! Who are your favorite romance hero (or heroes)  as per Kate's question. 

17 comments:

Karen H in NC said...

Can't really put a name on my favorite hero (unless I count the ever-mentioned Rhett...sigh...) but he is flawed, possibly scarred, strong and strong-willed but still sensitive (a trait he tries hard to hide) and able to recognize and love the woman who loves him.

Kate Pearce said...

Hi Karen! I almost mentioned Rhett myself as he is certainly heroic for putting up with Scarlett-I also think he might be livable with :)

my word verification is hersin-funny!

Cathy M said...

Hi Kate, my ultimate romance hero is Roarke from the Eve Dallas series. He would never fit in to my reality, but his loyalty and love to Eve, and the fact that he is richer than God, makes him a great fantasy hero.

Another more down to earth sexy hero is Sean McCloud from Shannon McKenna's, Edge of Midnight. He is a funny, definitely not perfect,straight up guy, as well as a raunchy sex God, but loves deeply and protects what's his.

Kate Pearce said...

Yes, I'm a Roarke lover too! I've never read the Shannon McKenna book you mention, I might have to check it out-I love me some raunchy :)

Armenia said...

Kate, LOL, I love me an Alpha-Man hero all the way, but I think in real life he would be high maintenance.

I agree with you, yes, the sex would be hot and wonderful like you said, but a gal needs to put in some reading time, and feed the family, and clean the manse, and put the cat out, and bring home the bacon, to boot!!

My favorite hero is Drustan MacKelter from KMM's KISS OF THE HIGHLANDER. He was honorable, intelligent, repectful,protective, but also so sweet. I think I could live with him in real life.
Him in a kilt wouldn't be so bad, either. *grin*

flchen1 said...

Hi, Kate! Hmm... a favorite hero? Smart, sexy, good with his hands, unquestionably a pile of mush for the heroine but no push-over for anyone else... Maybe Sebastian St. Vincent, although I imagine I could live with him only if I were Evie ;)

Congrats on your latest Simply!

--Fedora

Virginia C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Virginia C said...

Hello, Kate! I definitely go for flawed/scarred, tough-but-tender masculine men! I don't care for MACHO! Kindness and humor are very sexy, and of course, I love my cowboys! Conagher by Louis L'Amour. It doesn't hurt that the movie version of Conagher starred the love of my life, Sam Elliott! Yes, I could live with Conagher/Sam!
gcwhiskas at aol dot com

kalynnick said...

My favorite hero is Roarke from In death series. I also LOVE Alpha hero.

kalynnick AT yahoo DOT com

limecello said...

Hi Kate! Thanks for visiting with us :)
Some of my favorite heroes are SEP and Lisa Kleypas's... but I think ultimately I'd go with Lorenzo Gage from Breathing Room... :X or Bobby Tom Denton in Heaven, Texas.

ddurance said...

I've always Nicholas Stafford of Jude Deveraux's A Knight in Shining Armor.

Deidre
deidre_durance at hotmail dot com

Laurie said...

I like the tortured, reluctant heroes. One of my favorites is Josh Steele BAD Attitude Sherrilyn Kenyon.

I also like Steve/Frankenstein in Karen Robard's book Walking After Midnight.

Laurie said...

OOPS! Live with them in real life... NO, too moody!!

Booklover1335 said...

Yeah, I would definitely share crumbs with Jamie Fraser :) I think he is the perfect Alpha Hero...unfortunately I have to agree that he is too good to be true. I would much prefer to have a real man that can break out the Alpha every now and again :)

Congrats on the new book and can't wait to read more about Anthony. I had no idea you also wrote cowboy romances... have been binging on those so definitely going to have to check them out

cldivineATyahooDOTcom

CallMeKayla said...

My favorite romance hero.. I can only choose one??? How about from one book series? Hahaha. J. R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood. Those guys are it for me. Sexy, muscular, fangs, hight.. package.. LOL what else could a girl want?

kaylajohnson3969@sbcglobal.net

Kate Pearce said...

Thanks for commenting guys! Always a pleasure to visit with you here!

booklover0226 said...

Hi, Kate.

There are so many heroes to choose from that I can't decide! One of my favorites is Jamie from the Outlander series. He's strong, smart, and loyal to the bone...and being handsome does him no harm either! LOL

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 AT gmail DOT com