Thursday, September 04, 2008

Q&A with Lee Aaron Wilson


You're read his excerpt from Billy Killdeere and now it's time to meet the author behind the book. Give a hearty welcome to Lee Aaron Wilson!

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I've always known I was going to be a writer. In fact, I was writing before I started school, allthough no one could read what I wrote. In the sixth grade, in a two room country school, I started a school newspaper. In high school I was a columnist for the school paper.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

My ideas come from everywhere. It could be an item in the news, or the way a woman glowers at her husband in a bar. A cloud formation while I'm driving can remind me of a hungry dragon.

I'm widely read--all kinds of fiction and nonfiction.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

My mind will pull together an idea, then the facts that support it, and before you know it, I have a book.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I balance humor with pathos, and sometimes include violent action. I'll throw in a romantic scene for a change of pace, or a purely erotic scene just to show a new aspect of a character. My friend, author Kat Martin, calls me the most sensual male writer she knows. I have a twisted sense of humor, am totally schooled in martial arts and violence, and enjoy seeing justice prevail.

What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

My grandmother was a writer and she encouraged me to write.
Anyone who fails to appreciate how driven I am to write isn't a friend for long.
My family now is supportive of my writing.

You write westerns, mysteries and romance. Do you have a favorite genre?

I love westerns, but in mine you will always find an element of mystery--a crime to be solved or a puzzle to be unraveled.
And come on, what is any story, western, mystery, science fiction, horror, etc, without romance?
We live for love and romance, so I include romance in my work.

What’s coming up next for you writing wise?

Right now, I'm working on a thriller series. The heroine is a gorgeous, red-haired hit woman who loves kids.
In fact, she takes out people who hurt kids for free.
In the first book, she becomes part of an anti-terrorist team.
I think I'm in love with her!

-Lee

Visit Lee at
http://www.leeaaronwilson.com/

2 comments:

Lee Aaron Wilson said...

Hi, I'm Lee, the author, so I'll make the first comment. I don't exactly write romance. Kat Martin calls my work romantic fiction; I call it romantic suspense. In any case thank you for dropping in and reading my listing.
Lee

flchen1 said...

Hi, Lee! Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your interview and am intrigued by your new series--do you have an expected release date yet? (I definitely feel strongly about violence against kids, and a strong heroine who takes those creeps on? I'm all for that!)

These days do you still write non-fiction (as you presumably did for the newspaper ;)) or do you mostly write fiction? Is there any genre you haven't done that you're itching to try?