Thursday, March 06, 2008

Ask Five with Liana Laverentz!!!!



1. Tell us about your latest release.

Thin Ice isn’t my latest release, but it is my biggest, and is still doing well on the bestseller lists at The Wild Rose Press. It’s a 2007 New Jersey Romance Writers Golden Leaf Award winner, a 2008 EPPIE finalist, and was a nominee for Best Romance of 2007 at Long and Short Reviews. Jake’s Return is my latest release, and special to me for a very different reason. One involves a couple that have never met before, and the other a couple that were childhood friends. I found them equally challenging to write, because the dynamics of the relationships were so different. But both deal with the issues of love, trust and forgiveness.

2. How long had you been writing before you sold your first story?

I started writing with the intent of getting published in 1988. My first book was published in 1993.


3. So far, what has been the biggest thrill for you as an author?

The comments I get from readers. I’ve had people tell me they couldn’t put the book down, they didn’t get anything done all weekend, they laughed and they cried, and “That’s the way it should be,” when speaking of the relationship between the hero and heroine. I’ve also had people say, “I want my own Eric.” (The hero in Thin Ice.) Next best would be reviewers that “get” what you were trying to convey with the story. My stories always have a message in them, and there’s nothing better in this world than to feel understood. When you write a book, you’re putting yourself out there, and to be able to touch people’s emotions, to have them relate to your characters as if they were real, to have them tell you they forgot about everything else while they were reading your book…that makes it all worth it.

4. Which friends or authors have influenced you over the years, whether for their writing or for their friendship?

My best friend, Louis, to whom both Thin Ice and Jake’s Return are dedicated, has influenced me the most in the past several years, simply by being in my corner and gently encouraging me to go out and do what I always said I wanted to do—write books. For years I let just about anything else that came along get in the way of my writing. I put my writing last on the list, and so it never got done. Hence the 15 year gap between my first and second book. Finally, he said, “You keep talking about how you want to be a writer—I don’t see that happening.” And it was like a wake up call, and I said, “Okay, I’ll show you…”

So I submitted Thin Ice to Rhonda Penders at the Wild Rose Press and she bought it, and I was on my way. But before that, I had to get the manuscript ready to submit, and he would call me every week and ask, “What did you get done this week?” And if I hadn’t worked on it, he wouldn’t say a word about it, but I knew he would call and ask the same question the next week, and the thought of having to say “nothing” and hear my lame excuses spoken out loud to another person kept me working on it until it was done.

5. Finally, what is coming up next for you?

I am currently revising my first novel, a murder-mystery romance titled Ashton’s Secret, for re-release with The Wild Rose Press in late 2008. I also have a romantic suspense title I am working on, Justice is a Lady, about Samantha Dallas, an assistant DA who goes on the run with Alexander Caldwell, an undercover FBI agent, when Samantha is framed for murder. Part of the suspense is Samantha doesn’t know Alex is one of the good guys. The people who framed her are the same people he is investigating.

I also host a monthly chat on the Long and Short Reviews Yahoo Group the first Thursday of each month, where we discuss ways to find our balance between writing and Life, which tends to get in the way of our writing more often than not. You can read my articles on Finding Your Balance at http://longandshortarchives.blogspot.com/2008/01/article-finding-your-balance-pt-1.html then mark your calendar to join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LongAndShortRomanceReviews/?yguid=306787988



You can purchase Liana's books by clicking here.

No comments: