Thursday, August 09, 2007

Ask Five with....JANET MULLANY!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Today we have Janet Mullany as our guest! She has a book out this month and also writes as Jane Lockwood. Definitely a multi-faceted writer!

Get to know...Janet Mullany:


What is the title of your latest release and what’s it about?

My book is The Rules of Gentility (Avon A) and I define it as a Regency chicklit. It’s about a husband-hunting fashionista heiress in Regency London. I started writing it as a joke and for my own comic relief, --a sort of Regency Bridget Jones’s Diary--after I’d finished a doom, gloom Regency-set (as yet unpublished). I also let rip with my own brand of humor and that was a lot of fun. It’s an affectionate spoof of Regency-sets but at the same time I think it’s the most romantic thing I’ve ever written. My editor, though, swears it isn’t a romance, which I find rather confusing, as I thought with this one I’d cracked the romance code.

What is the hardest part of writing?

Just doing it. Finding excuses to get off the Internet and stop Googling yourself and re-reading e-mail and all the other zillion wonderful distractions there are out there. And I’m a particularly terrible plotter.

How do you stay motivated?

I find that once I stop making excuses and start writing my subconscious kicks in and I get into what I call “the zone,” where everything flows and surprising things happen. That, for me, is the reward. I have to keep that feeling in mind. Of course, sometimes it’s just drudgery, squeezing out words and wishing I were doing something else.

Which authors have influenced you over the years, whether for their writing or for their friendship?

My favorite books, which I re-read fairly regularly, are Wives and Daughters by Mrs. Gaskell, Emma by Jane Austen, Villette by Charlotte Bronte, and Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. I like Nick Hornby, Sarah Waters, Pam Rosenthal, Colleen Gleason, Anna Maxted, Jude Morgan, Terry Pratchett, Jennifer Weiner, and Angela Carter (in no particular order). I have a lot of great online writing friends, in particular the Bad Girls Critique Group and the Wet Noodle Posse, http://www.wetnoodleposse.com.


Looking in your crystal ball, tell us what’s coming up in the near future for you.


I have an erotic historical romance, Forbidden Shores (Signet Eclipse) coming out in October under the name of Jane Lockwood, You can find out more at http://janelockwood.com/. And I’m working on a new idea for Avon that is in the deep thought stage and also some erotic romance novellas underway.

Thanks for having me visit!

Thanks, Janet! You can learn more about Janet by visiting her website at http://www.janetmullany.com/

And if you have any questions for her, be sure and post them and she just might pop in to answer them!



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

nascarandbeans said...

thanks for coming and sharing your book with us.. i have to admit i dont read alot of regencys, but this one sounds very different and very good..
i love the cover..
Jolene

Janet Mullany said...

Thanks, Jolene.
I love the cover, too--it's based on a painting by Marcus Stone who was an illustrator and friend of Dickens, In Love, painted in 1907.
Hope you take the plunge and enjoy the book!

Caffey said...

Historicals, regencies espeically have been favorites of mine! So glad you are writing again Janet since DEDICATION. Its on my keepers shelf :) I'm looking forward to your Jane Lockwood book too!! So great to read your interview here!