Thursday, July 19, 2007

Ask Five with....DELILAH DEVLIN!!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Delilah has helped cause a few waves this summer with the release of Wild, Wild Women of the West, an sexy, hot anthology from Kensington Aphrodisia! This author is one talented lady in demand and her star is only going to rise even farther.

Sit back and meet....Delilah Devlin:

What is the title of your latest release and what’s it about?

My latest is a novella entitled A Taste of Honey that is featured in the book Wild, Wild Women of the West (Kensington Aphrodisia, June 2007). The story centers around Honey Cafferty, who lives a happy but precarious existence as a traveling saleswoman, searching for a sense of belonging. From her colorful wagon she brews decoctions to cure ennui, sleeplessness, hysteria—and after a visit from a mysterious Mexican curandera—she believes she’s found the way to improve a man’s libido... The story is light, funny—and very sexy, if I may say so myself!

How do your stories come to you? Complete with just the details to fill in, or is it a character who starts the whole thing rolling?

For me, stories usually start as daydreams that follow me around for a while as I get to know the characters, the setting and their conflicts. Most times, I can hear them talking before I write them. They join me in the middle of some terrible battle or problem and “show” me their world. It’s up to me to figure out what the rest of their story is. I know that sounds very strange, but there you have it. I’m probably schizophrenic, but as long as I just write about my “friends” I guess they won’t lock me up.

What is the hardest part of writing?

I hate the first page of my manuscripts. I will agonize forever over the first sentence, the opening scene, the setting details—it can be paralyzing. Oh, and the other hard part is simply having the discipline to sit my butt in a chair and write! I can find a million other things that need my attention more —dust bunnies, email, blog-hopping, etc.

Which authors or friends have influenced you over the years, whether for their writing or for their friendship?

I’ve been fortunate to surround myself with authors who were just as neurotic as I am, who are very talented and selfless with their time when I needed something read or critiqued, and who nag me relentlessly when I’m falling off the writing wagon. Layla Chase taught me more about the craft of good writing than any old book or lecture. My sister Myla Jackson encouraged and supported me all along this journey we undertook together. Kim Kaye Terry keeps me pumped about writing and lets me bounce my crazy ideas against her any time I want. The “Roses” at Rose’s Colored Glasses have given me friendship and love.

What's coming up in the future for you?

Too much to catalog here!! Avon has signed me up for two more books in my vampire series. Into the Darkness is already in the stores, Seduced by Darkness will be out in March—the next two installments will continue to madness! Wild, Wild Women of the West will be followed by a second volume next summer. Kensington is also publishing Damned, Dangerous and Delicious next year. I have shorter stories coming this summer from Avon and Harlequin Spice—and some other projects in the works that I can’t talk about until the ink is dry! Now that I’m writing full time, I really do feel like the sky’s the limit!

Thank you for the interview! Read the RRTE review of Wild, Wild Women of the West by clicking here.

You can visit her website by going to http://delilahdevlin.com/

29 comments:

Caffey said...

Hi Delilah! I didn't know there would be more installments to the westerns! So much to look forward to of yours and of course to look back to, especially for re-reads! You're characters are helping great! I'm thrilled for you that you are doing what you want to now, writing full time. Congrats! Its exciting when your releases are coming out. I feel like a kid when those Tuesday and Wednesday and...so on release days come, LOL.

I love that name Cafferty :)

nascarandbeans said...

waving wildly to Delilah.. good morning.. i have wild wild women...im so happy to hear theres more where that came from... sounds like you are keeping busy and lots of great stuff coming our way in the future.. love your books..
Jolene (nascarandbeans)

Anonymous said...

Delilah said...

Caffey and Jolene! Thanks, ladies, for posting! I'm glad you're enjoying the westerns--they are soooo much fun to write!

Lisa avila said...

OOOOH!!!! Can't wait to read this book.

Valerie said...

Hi,

I love reading author interviews. Delilah, seems like your career is a'hopping and a'bopping...so happy for you. I've read a few of your books and have enjoyed them very much!!!

Valerie

Stacia said...

Great interview, Delilah. Your books look really great & I'm looking forward to reading some of your work in the very near future.

Amy S. said...

Great interview Delilah! Love the cover to Wild Wild Women of the West!

robynl said...

Oh poor Joe; lol, I bet he wishes Honey had come along a long time ago.
I love westerns.

Crystal Adkins said...

Wow! I can't wait to read this!!! Right now I'm reviewing Damages by Bazhe... its very interesting!

Love and hugs, Crystal

Anonymous said...

Delilah said...

Guess I'm the only Blogger-challenged person here today!! :)

Lisa: Thanks for posting! Hope you get a chance to read it real soon.

Valerie: Thanks for your well wishes--they are much appreciated! Any good vibes you can spread... :)

Stacia: I'm glad you enjoyed the interview!

Amy: Hey there! I'm glad you liked the cover. It's a bit different from the other Aphro covers, but I hope that only makes it stand out.

Robyn: Then you're in luck, because these books are Old West and supercharged with sexy cowboys! :)

stephanieb said...

Great interview Delilah!! I just love the way each of the stories in the book sound and can't wait to read it!!

DragonStar1974 said...

Definitely could be in the mood for something lite, funny, and sexy D!! Ever thought of doing something just contemp-wise that way without the paranormal in it?

Stephanie

jennybrat said...

Hi Delilah, you have great first lines in your books. Sounds like you have many exciting things in the works. Can't wait for the ink to dry.

Anonymous said...

Delilah said...

Crystal: Thanks for stopping and commenting!

Stephanie: We really worked hard to come up with fresh premises for each of the stories. I hope you enjoy them!

Dragonstar: I've thought about it, but you know, for me anyway, writing contemp is harder than any other genre. I like the woo-woo factor or getting into the time frame in my own mind. It keeps me charged.

Jennybrat: Thanks so much for saying so. That darn first line is always the hardest one to find.

Patricia Cochran said...

Hello, Delilah,

I'm a newcomer to this blog - I am a
western fan from many years past, in fact, westerns were among my first
favorites! I look forward to reading
about those Wild, Wild Women!!

Patricia Cochran

EdgesAngel23 said...

Hi there Delilah!
I'm looking forward to reading all your books!!
You rock!
Ashley A

danetteb said...

Hi DD,
I'd love a cure to sleeplessness,does Honey find one? *hint,hint*...Lol,I've got this book on my buy list.
Hugs, Danette

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

I am excited every time I see a Western come out...heres hoping they become the hot new thing...again :)

tam said...

Hi DD,

I love a good western romance book. This one, Wild, Wild Women of the West, looks to be very good not only do you get 1 story but your get 3 western romance's.

Ashlyn Chase said...

Hey Delilah,

Just dropping in to say 'howdy.' Best of luck with the new projects!

Ash

Anonymous said...

Delilah said...

Patricia: Well word out is that Westerns are getting hot again, so you should find more of them on the shelves soon. Just be sure to start with mine first! LOL

Ashley A: So you know what's in my CD player now? Just teasing! Thanks, babe!

Danette: What Honey's got will guarantee a SLEEPLESS night! :)

Jenna: I promise you Westerns are rising again. Be looking for Sarah McCarty's offerings soon at Harlequin. And I'm hoping for a few more of my own.

Tam: You do get 3 great stories for the price of one. And they are sure not to be retreads of Westerns past. Same sexy cowboys, but the women...

Ashlyn: Thanks for stopping by to say hi!!

CrystalG said...

Great interview. Love the cover to Wild, Wild Women of the West.

Jodi said...

Great interview. Your book sounds good. Cowboys and westerns - yummy!

Cherie J said...

Great interview! This book sounds wonderful!

Sue A. said...

I just love the cover! Don't we all want to get our hands on a cowboy!

Anonymous said...

Delilah said...

I have to go to bed!! So I'm closing the contest a little early. The winner is TAM!! Congratulations! You'll get a copy of the book signed by all three authors. If anyone else wants magnets or bookmarks, send your address to me at delilahdevlin@earthlink.net! Thanks for playing, everyone!

Crystal Adkins said...

I love western romances! I am sure your book will be a hit!!
Love and hugs, Crystal

tam said...

Delilah Thank-you!

tetewa said...

This sounds like a winner!