Sunday, December 03, 2006

Continuation of the Happily Ever After?

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI just finished reading DROP DEAD GORGEOUS by Linda Howard and as usual, she’s written a fabulous story. It features the same heroine, hero and other characters from DYING TO PLEASE. Blair and Wyatt are a riot. What Ms. Howard has done is unusual for romance novels, as the couple is already together at beginning of DROP DEAD GORGEOUS. In fact, they are planning their marriage throughout the course of the story. As readers, we’re used to saying goodbye to our heroine and hero once the ‘I love you’ is said and we just know they’re going to live happily ever after. This brings up an intriguing question: would readers be interested in seeing favorite couples in another book where they are once again the central characters?

I know JD Robb does it with the IN DEATH books, but the Robb books are not strictly classified as romance, but rather, suspense. I’ve seen series where the main couple have had important roles in future stories, but to have their romance dissected and decided again? DROP DEAD GORGEOUS is certainly different. In this one, while Blair and Wyatt do love one another, the road to marriage proves to be a formidable hill for them. Their banter will have you in stitches and good god…Blair makes valid points even if she is somewhat ditsy. :) Would love to see them appear in another story. Wonder if Ms. Howard intends to?

Question for readers…would you like to see beloved couples show up in another book with arguments, conflict and oh yes, a romance that has to be won all over again? Can you think of any couple you’d like to see more of?

Share your thoughts!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Mimmi said...

Hi, Patti~~your thinking is much like mine. I think I could read about Blair and Wyatt forever more, just because of the general dynamics that LH has got going on between them. It's fast, witty, and you never even have a clue what's going to come next. And there are very few authors out there, I think, who could pull this off and keep my interest at that pace. Julie Garwood probably could, and I'd love to follow some of her charachters further, and of course, it goes w/out saying Nora does it w/ Roarke...but I don't know. The story would still have to have the conflict, the questionable ending (will they or won't they) and I don't know if I'd like alot of my fav couples going through this. Hmmm...

Mimmi said...

I remembered after I posted~~who's read the new Karen Marie Moning?? DarkFever? It's great, but not much romance~~you get to know who she's setting up for hero/heroine, but it's supposed to be a 5 book series, all with the same charachters. Hmmm....I LOVE her writing, but I missed the romance in this book...